Of late I have been carying boxing gloves whenever I go to the gym. The management in the gym had put up a punching bag, some days back and I decided to put it to some use. no , Im not one to think of competing in some boxing championship, or have dreams ( or some would say nightmares) of having a bout with the likes of Mike Tyson, Muhammed Ali, joe Frazier et al. But its been a good long time since I actually punched someone / something since then l've been more of a non violent character.
Today, as usual I put on my gloves and began punching the bag, just to get my body into0 some motion, sort of a warm-up. There is an aerobics class going on in the adjoining room, windows of which open up into the balcony where yours truly is slowly going through the motions , with some light punches on the bag. I pick up intensity over the next 30 minutes, and furiously use all the power in me to punch the bag. Sweat flows down my brows, my shoulders ache, with the continous movement, my arms seem as if they are on fire with all the exertion, and my wrists scream for me to stop. Till one moment ... one moment, when the sweat trickles down into my eyes, causing them to burn. Almost instantaneously I turn away, with one hand outstretched to stop the punching bag as it is swinging, and the other trying to rub the perspiration away. I might as well have kept the outstretched hand down; anyways the only thing it could have stopped was only air ( as I was to realise later). In that one moment the bag swung towards me ( a result of Newtons third law ), and before I knew it BAM !!!!. The impact wasnt too hard, though the shock of being at the recieving end of something that was inadvertently a result of my own furious actions was. It was'nt as if I had been socked by someone a la Tyson or thereabouts... but it still shook me.
A few minutes, and a couple of glasses of water later I was back to giving the bag another pumelling, though this time , the punching was just that bit lighter, to avoid recurrence of the earlier mishap.
No comments:
Post a Comment